Note, these are my very personal preferences at this time (November 4, 2010), your preferences may differ. This is a document in progress. Please feed back to me any additional information that you may find
Tuning Windows 7 64 (I have the Professional version) other versions may have more or less features. When I start this tuning there are at least 38 or more processes running (some have reported as high as 70) just from Windows 7 on boot up in the Task Manager. Remember, these options below are my personal preferences and choices.
1. Install/update graphics driver as necessary, and if you need special disk controller drivers install them as well.
2. My next step is to double left click on Computer to open it. Then sequentially right click on each drive and select Properties and uncheck “Allow Indexing ….. for fast file searching”.
3. For each of the following you use the Control Panel, after bringing up the default Control Panel go to the upper right corner and select View By/Small Icons for convenience in the rest of the procedure.
4. Select User Account and then Change User Account Control Settings and move the setting to never notify. This will simplify the following steps and can be set back later if you so desire.
5. Select Performance Information and Tools
a. Select Adjust Visual Effects and check Adjust For Best Performance
b. Select Adjust Indexing Options/Modify uncheck all
c. Select Adjust Power Settings select Create Power Plan and choose High Performance. Also in this under Create Power Plan select your personal preferences for the display and computer. I like my editing system never to go to Sleep and my screen to stay on for at least an hour.
6. Select Windows Firewall and then Turn Windows Firewall on or off. (For me this is a video editing computer and not an email or Internet cruising machine.) I turn it off, also Home or Work turn off and Public Network off
7. Select Programs & Features and then Turn Features On or Off. Turn off things like Tablet PC Components and Windows Gadget Platform. Here is what my list looks like.
1. Before leaving Programs and Features, I turn off nVidia PhysX and 3D (neither are necessary for Premiere Pro) by removing the drivers that you find nVidia has installed.
2. Close the control Panel
3. Go to Computer and right click on it and select Manager and then Services
4. Continue by turning off or modifying specific other services. I have an initial list of 21 changes to services now.
1. Adaptive Brightness
2. BitLocker Encryption
3. Bluetooth support
4. Cryptographic Services (set this to Manual)
6. Homegroup Listener (These two are optional unless you have multiple Win 7 systems that may require them)
7. Homegroup Provider
8. Microsoft iSCSI Initiator
9. Parental Controls
10. Remote Access Audio Video Experience
11. Remote Access Auto connection Manager
12. Remote Desktop Configuration
13. Remote Desktop Services
14. Remote Desktop Services User Mode Port Redirector
15. Remote Registry
17. Tablet PC Input Service
18. Windows Biometric Service
20. Windows Media Center Scheduler Service
21. Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service
One last step that I do is go to a cmd prompt and turn off Hibernation. With the prompt up type in “powercfg –h off” of course with out the quote marks. This will free up (after next reboot) disk space on your OS boot disk equal to the size of your RAM.